Saturday 10 March 2012

A Fashion Expert at Three.

Emily was and still is very tiny, although she is quite tall now. She was born with a sense of fashion. As an adult , she is classy with a touch of flare that is all her own and I admire her ability to put belts, scarves ,hats and shoes together with just the right clothes. She definitely knows what she likes! However, I did not find this character trait to be as admirable when she was a child . As young as two and a half , she changed clothes often throughout the day

 One day she emerged wearing soccer knee pads, volleyball elbow pads, and a sweatband as accessories, with a white undershirt and underpants. The older kids couldn't stop laughing ; they were so amused that one of them ran to get the camera. 

Emily is a Christmas Eve baby which means she was three when she started school. I really was leery about sending her but she was smart as a whip. She hopped off the bus at noon, after the first day, and announced , with her voice rising in unspoken indignation,
"Do you know that one girl was wearing a jean skirt with a matching jean jacket!" 
Well, if she noticed what everyone was wearing, I suppose she was not that traumatised by school.
Some kindergarten school days I was forced to sheepishly wave  goodbye to the bus driver because Emily had plunked her self down on the porch with her arms crossed refusing to attend school in the clothes I had picked out.

We treasure a video which illustrates Emily's passion for clothes. At least forty people were mingling with each other on our farm, riding horses, climbing up onto a hay wagon and interacting with the farm animals. Recently after pulling this home movie out and watching it again,Melissa suddenly noticed,
"Look Emily has changed her clothes three times already in the video!"
Typical Emily.
 How ever, her talents did evolve and transform into assets rather than deficits, thank God.  For example, one morning  five year old Lucy was slipping out the door for the school bus ahead of everyone else. Emily stopped her in her tracks,
"Did mom or you match that sweater with that top? It does not look right together. Either change or keep it buttoned up all day."


Emily was and still reigns as our fashion monitor. One evening ,Michael and I were going out to listen to a talk.
 Emily looked me up and down and asked,
"Are you going out?"
"Yes", I answered.
She pointed her finger,waving it at me.
"And your wearing that?"
 I knew the direction this conversation was going,
"Yeah." I mutter awkwardly.
" I don't think so! You know that top I bought you for your birthday and the pants Melissa gave you? Go change. You'll look much better and I have just the right belt for the oufit."
Of course Emily was right. 

Once again , just like most of my other children, I did not have the time to clamp down hard on Emily, when she was little, and battle  her fashion choices. This allowed her  God given gift to mature and develop naturally . And I am reaping the fruit of this decision.: after throwing on anything handy for twenty some years, I have gratefully allowed my daughters to choose my haircut, clothes, creams and even convince me to wear make-up. I must admit that I feel much better about my appearance.

My Daughters are loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment