Saturday 21 April 2012

As My Daughter Became A Chef, I Became the Scullery Maid

After the birth of my sixth child, I  managed to cook  old tried and true meals like roasted chicken and mashed potatoes, chicken stir fry and rice, homemade chicken soup and spaghetti. Good, homemade, from scratch meals but boring. Homemade pickles were the only garnish.

My daughter, Mara, was a natural in the kitchen from the time she was small. As a preschooler, she always begged to help stir, roll , cut or decorate.  In fact, she seemed to  possess an inborn confidence in her abilities that actually intimidated her grandmother.  When Mara was only about nine, she watched her grandmother make a dessert with a frown on her face. Suddenly, she burst out,
"Grandma, that is not the way we do it."
In other words, her method was the best method.

As she grew older, Mara continued to amaze me. For example, the first time she attempted pastry, from scratch, I gave her directions as I peeled the apples and balanced Anthony on my shoulder at the same time. Her pastry was flakier than mine! It was almost unbelievable; she was eleven years old!

Once Mara started culinary school, she loved to take over the kitchen and I was happy to be her scullery maid when she did. She had discovered her passion.
To relax on her days  from culinary school or from the restaurant, Mara cooked and baked.

Mara watched incredulously, one afternoon, as I threw one of our  home grown14lb. chickens in the oven.
"That's it?", she asked.
I faltered for a moment, "Ahh... ya."
Her voice rose slightly, "You mean to tell me that You are not adding any rubs, spices..nothing?"
I nodded
" Mum",  Mara sighed, "I just can't handle that..I can't let you do that. I'll cook."
I happily acquiesced because I had so much else to do.
Mara had discovered her passion at an early age because her talents were drawn out and developed within a family who treated children's contributions  with respect and gratitude. Although, God knows, I was often too scattered to always express thankfulness, my kids knew that they were important.

 I think that is why simpler civilisations have less problems with teenagers;  they take their place as adults in their mid to late teens. Our culture leaves teenagers in limbo, bored, listless and often angry.  Teens seem to thrive when they are given a chance  to contribute to the family or to learn practical, real life skills. Anything from how to fix  cars,  to cook, clean and organize a home or take care of finances, all these skills prepare teens for the adult world.

University bound kids don't often get a chance to learn any of the trades in high school.  However, Mari Montessori encouraged teenagers  to run all aspects of a farm and the household as well as study. Just as she let little children hammer nails, sweep or pour hot tea into china cups, Mari believed that practical life skills were as important as intellectual studies  in forming well rounded, mature, intelligent adults.

Perhaps modern society NEEDS to bring back Home Ec and Shop for both boys and girls in the schools?

No comments:

Post a Comment