Saturday 18 August 2012

Passing along some sunshine: SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD

Unfinished business passed this on to me a long time ago and I did not know enough blogs to answer so now I am doing 3 around the same time! (To be truthful, I had forgotten. Sorry, unfinished business; it was such a wonderful surprise to receive an award) http://unfinishedbizness.wordpress.com/


1. Include the award logo in a post or somewhere on your blog.

2. Answer 10 questions about yourself.

3. Nominate 10 to 12 other fabulous bloggers.

4. Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blog, letting them know about the award.

5. Share the love and link the person who nominated you

Numbers 1 & 5: Check.

Number 2: I get to make these questions up, which is fantastic


How did you come up with the title and theme of your blog?

I have a gift of joy that bubbles up at the strangest times. Even though mothering nine kids was difficult, when I look back, all I remember are the happy moments. I suppose the same phenomena occurs after childbirth. Thus the title, THE JOY OF MOTHERING.

How would you describe yourself?

 I am a bit eccentric (my kids laugh at the word 'bit' and say, " only a bit?"). I love quirky, intellectual nerds with a sense of humour.  I often laugh in the face of tragedy.  It works for me. Only my parents really get my humour.

Who are you?

My identity is changing but to others I am a mother, wife, grandmother, homemaker, laundress, cook, counselor, gardener, former farm-hand, writer. However theses are my roles. I am discovering that my true identity lies deep within in my spirit. God  created me from the same stuff He is made of. When I relax and open the 'door' and allow Him to connect with my spirit, then I live in freedom and joy. Then I am simply a child of God. No more but no less.

Do you regret not having a career?

The first time someone asked me that question, my mouth dropped open and my mind went completely blank. The answer was and is, "NO".

Do you have any any advice that you would give to new mothers?

1. Ignore the bad and praise the good.
2. Don't get upset over messes.
3. If it's not broken, it probably should be
. 4. Bored children never stay bored for long, so don't worry about it. They will pick up a book or a pencil. (The Juneaus went for two years without a TV set.)
5. If you want to be happy never let your kids get tired and never let them get hungry. If you ignore their needs (not wants), you'll pay for it.

Do you have an original motto?

The only thing that will kill you with nine kids is pairing socks.
Say the words Mental Kung-Fu and all crazy, stressful thinking will stop as you laugh.

What do you LOVE to do?

I love to garden, read and write. Oh and crochet afghans ( NOT those ugly multicoloured ones your maiden aunt crocheted) I do it while my husband is driving because it is an hour and a bit into the Ottawa are where all our kids live. It is mind-boggling but I have crocheted more than a dozen 'blankets' mainly in the car.

What has made you laugh the hardest?

I have a sadistic streak. The times I have laughed the hardest concern my husband and bathtubs. Once he was stuck in a too small bathtub, trying to rinse his hair with a princess shower head without getting any water on the floor. The second hilarious incident was when he was stuck in a cold bath, with his leg sticking straight out in a cast, while I attempted to haul him up! Both times I laughed so hard that I ended up on the floor. My husband did not even smile.

Why do you read and write?
I Iove reading and writing. That is why I majored in English Literature in University. I am the definitive bookworm. I read at least 5 books a week till I was 15, stopping only if I had too much homework. My mother used to beg me on nice summer days to , "At least read outside!" Sometimes, to limit my late night reading, I have read perched on the edge of a cold tub, only to realize 2 hours later that I am frozen and can hardly walk.The same thing happens when I write I become focused and completely involved in the world of words

What are your favorite movies?

Of course they are two humourous movies. One is British, with  dry, understated humour and wit called "Waking Ned Devine". The other is amusing and heartwarming called "The Second-Hand Lion".

Nominate 10 fabulous bloggers

I will fulfill this slowly, as I get to know some blogs that caught my eye and ones that I like but have not read in a while.

Lanthie Ransom who writes Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries at lifecherries.com this woman is funny, witty, insightful and writes well. She is also a great support to me and many others.

Elaine Plummer at https://www.blogher.com/member/elainern is a REAL nurse at heart. She writes about all the questions we feel uncomfortable to ask our doctor.

Linda Anselmi https://www.blogher.com/member/linda-anselmi A real writer at heart, she hates to press publish but when she does, it is excellent. She is warmly Supportive to other blogger

Carolina Becky at http://www.blogher.com/member/beckeyp. A committed writer, funny, honest and down to earth.

Ginalynn at Truthsfromthechaos http://www.blogher.com/member/glred. A brave woman who writes about her struggle towards inner healing

Karen Sandoval who writes Karen Lynn-Hoo.do at http://www.blogher.com/member/karenlynnn

Elaine Griffin who writes  The Laine List  at http://www.blogher.com/member/lainegriffin Lovely lady, good writer, awesome web designer (this is blatant advertizing because I have seen her stuff)

Virginia at Homereared chef at https://www.blogher.com/member/homerearedchef because she IS a ray of sunshine into many readers live's

Denise a thttp://www.blogher.com/member/denise she really lights up the darkness of my confusion

Menopausal Mother  http://menopausalmother.blogspot.ca/ she is funny and a support to MANY bloggers

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow. You have said such nice things about me - I am blushing. Thank you very much- I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just the truth, the unvarnished truth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Melanie on all of your awards! And thank you so much for thinking of me and giving me The Sunshine Award! I will proudly display it on my blog wall with a big thanks to you and your blog link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to reading YOUR questions and answers

      Delete
  4. You are fabulous. Just reread this at home, where I could focus, and so appreciate being one of your award recipients. What a great hear you have!! And, THANK YOU SO MUCH for recognizing me, as it means so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like how you have combined your passion for nursing with your love of writing

      Delete