Saturday 17 November 2012

Eurecka




Eurecka


Seriously, does every other writer logically plan out their articles, essays, short stories and books with their left brain?
After reading a second prompt in eight days implying that all writers choose consciously what subjects and people they want to write about, for a moment I felt rattled.
Seriously, does every other writer logically plan out their articles, essays, short stories and books with their left brain? I simply cannot function like that. When an episode or opinion has popped into my brain, I have not consciously chosen to write about that topic or person. It is an eureka moment, that surprised me. I wonder,
"Where did that thought or memory come from? I haven't thought about him for years!"
Suddenly a story springs to mind. After I read my story, it seems that I have instantaneously as assimilated emotions, reflections, connected quotes and philosophy and integrated it all with my faith.
When I write, my right brain takes over, creativity flows like a river of words and I can hardly type fast enough to keep up. The entire process is largely subconscious. I unwittingly combine the spirit of creativity with a gift to craft words together. Writers in past centuries called this inspiration the Muse. Left logical brain editing follows afterwards. However, if I attempt to write the first draft with my logical left brain, the article is stilted, stunted, boring and painful to read.
Hoping that I am not alone in this approach to writing, I have unearthed some powerful and some amusing quotes on the subject of writing:
"I do not plan my fiction any more than I normally plan woodland walks; I follow the path that seems most promising at any given point, not some itinerary decided before entry.”
John Fowles

“There are three secrets to writing a novel. Unfortunately nobody knows what they are.”
W. Somerset Maugham

"Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say."
Sharon O'Brien”

"Writing is the overflow of emotion into action.”
Brian Raif

So it seems that I am in good company.
I must admit though, I discovered that many other authors use an outline, plan and work hard at the chore of writing, yet still managing to create magic.

2 comments: