Tuesday 1 January 2013

MY Mischievous Kid is Now a Dad


 After the birth of my our first grandchild, my son turned to his dad and smiled proudly, "Dad, I think that this is the best thing that I have ever done."

I am a grandparent.
My son, whom I nursed and rocked to sleep
Now is soothing his tiny daughter
Whispering softly
Gently rocking her.
Is this the same kid who defied us
Railing and ranting against everything
We stood for?
Now the epitome of responsibility, love and commitment?
How did this happen?
It is a mystery and a miracle
That I simply enjoy
As I observe
My granddaughter's whole face lighting up
As she catches a glimpse of my son
Coming home from work.
He throws her up in the air
She squeals with delight,
Trusting that her daddy
Will always keep her safe.
I am proud of my son and my daughter-in-law.
My heart swells with love as our family grows even larger
Blessings that come after the years
Of struggle
I rejoice in
Nine kids
Five kids-in-law
First grandchild
One on the way
And .. I admit it.
I am even thankful for my three grandbeasties
Er ...dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment