Friday 6 December 2013

Knife in My Heart

 I stood at the sink,
pain lancing my chest,
sobbing silently,
tears blinding me as I tackled a mound of dirty dishes.
Exhaustion weighed heavy,
my arms like stone.
11:00pm.
I was alone, disconnected
Isolated.
I could almost see the knife
piercing my heart.
There was a name on the handle;
I strained my inner eye,
expecting to see my husband’s name carved in the wood
But No!
I tried to manipulate the letters but I could not force them to spell his name.
The etched letters
clearly spelled Melanie.
My eyes widened,
I literally gasped in shock.
Truth pierced,
dissolving the knife and the sharp pain with it into insubstantial mist.
I was the architect of my misery,
a dramatic self-made victim,
acting like a pitiful scapegoat.
Reality made me smile.
An inner switch flipped.
Misery slipped off like useless rags
The mountain of work thrown into the sea by a mustard seed of common sense because there was no mountain except in my self-pitying delusions of martyred grandeur.
Self-depreciating laughter,
Cutting through Stress.
A Strange Calm.

Strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment