Friday 3 January 2014

Humourous, Vintage Paintings of Mothers and Children

When I think of a typical hundred year-old painting  of mother with her children, I think of idealized images where everyone has a sombre expression on their faces. Well these painters had a sense of as humour as they capture the moments when a mother is overwhelmed by her children's need to touch her, even when she tries to work. These artists must have been fathers because they are remarkably insightful  into the mother/ child dynamic. .They remind me of the days when I felt like a mauled mother cat, feeling like if one more person touched me that I would scream.

4 comments:

  1. I love these! I guess life for moms hasn't changed all that much after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it is so funny that an old master painting captures something other than a romantized view of mothers, especially the one where the woman is sitting with her head in her hand!

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is awesome! I'm laughing so hard right now, mostly because I have a toddler clinging to my legs right now.

    ReplyDelete